Thursday, January 26, 2012

Beer School

Thank God I am good at math! I knew brewing was a lot of math and chemistry but I feel like I'm in Mr. Clune's math class not beer school. My first two days of class was a lot of explanation of what is needed to calculate a recipe. I learned more in those first 2 days then I have in my first 3 home-brews. On Wednesday we went on a tour of the Simpsons Malt Company to see the complex process of how barley becomes malt. Then we stopped at the Ships Inn Brewery and Pub to see how a very small but efficient micro-brewery operates and of course sample some of the brews. The brewery and pub is located in a very tiny town right on the beach. It was beautiful even in this weather, and I can imagine it a pretty fun place to have a beach day in the summer. Today I worked making a brew in the brewery at my school. This is meant to give us an opportunity to see what day to day work in the brewery is like. Tomorrow I will begin my first recipe, which hopefully I calculated correctly. So far I have been really enjoying my classes here and everyone is really nice. I am already thinking of ways to improve my system at home and coming up with some potential brews. Well the general idea of them at least...Dad maybe you could give your math class extra credit for calculating my recipes? Parents would be okay with that right?

1 comment: