Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm Here!

So yesterday I made it to Florence and I started my classes today! I even somehow got my 50 pounds suit case up to my apartment which is a fifth floor walk up! But is has a beautiful view of the Basilica di San Lorenzo which I will post a picture of eventually. I have 5 roommates, all of which are also here for 3 weeks studying different programs through the study abroad school. I am the oldest out of all of us (what a change for me) and the only one not from Long Island. We went out to dinner and I ate an amazing pasta Bolognese for dinner, which was well earned after my move in.
Today I first had my Italian language classes, and we actually learned a lot for the first day. I was nervous I wouldn't be able to practice it too much, because people usually just start speaking English to Americans, but I must be blending in well because I initially get a lot of Italian from people... until I open my mouth and butcher their language. So far 4 tourist have stopped me for directions, and I actually was able to help them. I'm the only person I've met in the program who hasn't gotten lost yet, so thanks Dad.
And then I had cooking class and I really lucked out with that. I only paid for the group classes, but since it is a slow time of year, I have a private class with my teacher, Chef Desy. He was born on the Ivory Coast, but moved to Florence as a child and has worked as a chef in restaurants in Florence and NYC. Today was Italian Vegetarian Cooking, and I already learned how to make pasta and made some serious improvements to my chopping and cutting skills. We made Pasta Fresca al Limone, Insalata di Arance and Torta al Limone (It was citrus day). The best part, I got to eat it and got wine! And Chef Desy was plating my food like it was in some trendy restaurant and we sat for a sit down dinner. So far it was the best meal I've had. In a box at the bottom of the page I am going to put on of the most recent recipes we have made. I meant to take a picture of my dishes but I was so excited to eat them I forgot.

Miss you all a lot!!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you were paying attention during the Italy lessons in wine tasting class :)

    Good luck in Firenze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. that dish sounds great Meg's. So happy that you made it there safe and that your adjusting well. Looking forward to more blogs :)

    ReplyDelete